Take the first step. Call to talk
If you want to get a sense of how I work with patients, the video below is a brief example. Further information follows.
When you start therapy during our first appointment, we will discuss a number of important issues to help set the course of therapy. They will include:
- The symptoms or reasons you have for entering therapy
- When did the issue begin? Is there a history of this issue for you? Why have you decided to seek therapy now for the issue?
- Examining how you are managing at present, what is going on in your life at present.
- Discussing any crisis or important concerns for you.
- Previous therapy, other involvement with self help and medications
- Goals for therapy
- A treatment plan focusing on objectives, how often and mutual expectations
- Beyond the above fact-finding, it is likely that we will be able to do a little bit of exploration and therapy during the dicussion as well
Once we begin on a routine, the following tends to occur:
- Each session is 50 minutes. Fees are $85/session, including HST. I do take a certain proportion of patients on a sliding scale. I do take extended health care insurance (not OHIP though)
- We do our best to meet either weekly or twice a month at roughly the same time
- Therapy largely consists of a discussion between the two of us. The topic of discussion will inevitably involve the issues that brought you to therapy to begin with, but we may explore other areas of your life that are relevant as well. It is largely up to you to bring-up topics of interest at the start of each session.